Pages

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Days of wooden skis required lots of prep time

The following is an excerpt from a story which we believe is worthy of reading, but would lose too much of its charm if it were re-written for presentation on this blog. Please link through for the rest of the story, but hurry back! ... Editor

by Howard Meyerson

I was on my way out of a local outdoors store over the holidays when I saw a sight I hadn't seen in years: A guy at the counter with a pair of wooden cross country skis.

This wasn't someone looking for an antique appraisal or a spiffy way to affix them over the fireplace. It was actually someone coming in for a pine tar job.

"Nooo," I said in disbelief.

"Yeah," the manager said. "He's probably the eighth this season."

"Nooo," I said again, hardly believing it, but secretly pleased to know wood boards still have their fans.

I too have a pair of wooden skis, a set of Norwegian-made Gresshoppa Finese, though they hardly see daylight...

finish the story at The Grand Rapids Press - see FAIR USE notice.


These links are checked on the date of the article. As the article ages, some links may become invalid

Go To www.getoffthecouchnews.blogspot.com for all the news
See Get Off The Couch

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails